The first and most obvious is 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. Here the Bible describes what love should be. But here is an idea that was presented to me once. Where the word Love is used or inferred, use your own name. Does this describe you and how you love? It can be very convicting that way but quite an eye opener.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
- Luke 6:31
31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
- Romans 12:9 9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.
- Mark 12:31 31 The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."
- Romans 13:10 10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
- 1 Corinthians 13:13 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
- Ephesians 4:2 2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
- 1 Peter 4:8 8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
- 1 John 4:7 7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.
- 1 John 4:18-19 18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
19 We love because he first loved us.
- John 15:13
13 Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
- Colossians 3:14 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
- Provers 10:12 12 Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs.
This last verse really wraps it up though. God is our source and our strength and the one we should be seeking first above all others. Everything else will come, as everything flows from God.
- 1 John 4:8 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.